Re: remote X applications

Paul Emsley <paule@chem.gla.ac.uk> writes:

>     MB> Can you please try to port [mcookie]?
>
>         Actually, it was very easy, I changed __linux__ to __GNU__ in
>       mcookie.c and typed make.  Tada!  (I think also that prngd
>       should be used as one of the RNG, but I didn't include it).

FYI, alpha.gnu.org has an old port of util-linux in
<URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/base/>

>         I suppose that I can do some fiddling to build more stuff (but
>       fdisk is looking difficult).

Our main focus is on GNU parted which somewhat supersedes fdisk.

>       But I do not understand the protocol. What if I can get it to
>       build 80% of the binaries, with the other things producing
>       errors?

It is possible to query the architecture one is building for (see
dpkg-architecture(1)) in debian/rules, and modify the build process
accordingly. That's easy when it just means to call configure with
--disable-foo instead of --enable-foo. For simple Makefiles you may
also get away by calling e.g. "make PROGRAMS='foo bar baz'" so that
only these get built.

A util-linux package that does build 80% of the binaries is better
than 0%. Some of them are useless, anyway, because they are genuine
linux utils. In the long term, all the useful ones should probably
migrate out of util-linux, but that's more of a political than a
technical work.

--
Robbe