FAT and Stores

I am working on Marcus' fatfs-0.1.

The fatfs translator seems to work OK on hard drive partitions, where
bytes_per_sector (in FAT header) = store->block_size  = 512.

When mounting a floppy drive, however, I get:
bytes_per_sector = 512
store->block_size = 1024

This causes the translator to dump out with an error condition, and if I
comment out the error, the directory entries that show up are nonsense
characters.

How do stores determine block_size?  Really all I'm trying to determine is
if this is something I should fix on the translator end (ie, have fatfs
read 2 FAT sectors for every store entry [simulated inode?]) or is this
something that needs to be corrected for at the diskfs level?

Thanks,
Tom