Audio CD Support

Is there some way to play audio CD's?

I tried writing a lightweight version of cdplay, and I was able to open my
CD drive from /dev/hd1, but when I tried doing things like:

//fetch the table of contents from the CD drive, using the
//constant CDROMGETTOCHDR defined for linux's cdrom.h
ioctl(cdrom, CDROMGETTOCHDR, &header);

I received the error: "Inappropriate ioctl for device".

Is there no device driver support for audio cd's or am I taking the wrong
approach?  Are there maybe different ioctl constants that I couldn't find
for HURD?

Thanks,
Tom