Re: passwd entry for uid -1

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:43:27PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Then there is the problem that you can't chown to -1 (as -1 means skip
> > that).  I am not sure what this means, though.
>
> That's a feature.

Well, I know so much, I've just not checked extensively if some breakage
will occur if we run adduser and it tries to do that.  We do specify
--no-create-home, though.

> You wouldn't want to have this uid own files,
> anyway.

Right, and I think it is a good idea to not dynamically create this entry
either, as the uid must not change anyway.

> BTW, what's the difference to Unix's nobody?

Nobody is just another user, though usually with special semantics.
The Hurd nouser is just that: No user at all.  Ids in the Hurd are sets, and
nouser is the one with the empty id set.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de