Re: passwd entry for uid -1

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 05:42:06PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > getpwuid(-1) correctly returns 0, since there is no passwd entry.  This
> > causes screen to fail.  What's the Right Way to fix this?  Should the
> > Hurd add a passwd entry for uid -1 so that these programs run correctly?
>
> This seems like a reasonable thing to have in the Debian/Hurd base passwd file.

I don't understand where this -1 is coming from.  Will run screen under the
anonymous user?  The getuid() returns -1 for such processes.

We have an entry in /etc/passwd for the login user, with uid 100. Maybe we
should change that to -1?

Then there is the problem that you can't chown to -1 (as -1 means skip
that).  I am not sure what this means, though.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de