Re: X11R6 -> .

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:11:43PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> Hi
>
> OK, now it's done.  The only filename clash I had was rstartd, which
> lives in /usr/X11R6/bin but has a symlink in /usr/bin.  Both are in
> package xutils, so I just removed the symlink, hoping for the best.

If the link is not in the package, but created in the post install script,
and removed in the prerm script, this problem can be avoided. This is how
cpio treates the rmt link:

postinst:

if [ "$1" = configure ]; then
    test -f /sbin/rmt || ln -s ../usr/sbin/rmt /sbin/rmt
fi

prerm:

if [ "$1" = remove ]; then
    if test -L /sbin/rmt -a /sbin/rmt -ef /usr/sbin/rmt; then
        rm -f /sbin/rmt
    fi
fi

Do you want to work out a patch for the xutils package and submit it to
Branden to do something similar?

> Simple x-applications (xcalc) still work, and compiling seems not to
> have worsened (X includes and libs are still autodetected by configure).
> All in all, matters boringly seem to be just like before.

That's good!  And you don't need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, right?
suid X apps will work.

> I would recommend that this change be made to the tarball.  If it proves
> bad, it can always be cleaned up later using the info in the package
> database.

First we should fix xutils.  But I don't plan a new tar file too soon
anyway.  Thanks for testing this.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de