Re: /X11R6/lib

Quoth Marcus Brinkmann:

> Nono, that would be bad indeed.  Luckily, you had a type above. The symlink
> is actually:
>
> ulysses:~# ls -l /usr/lib/X11
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Feb 28 19:50 /usr/lib/X11 -> ../X11R6/lib/X11/
>
> So instead a symlink, we now have the real stuff there were Packages would
> expect it. All is fine!

Indeed.  All this /usr/.././X11R6/lib/X11 -> ../. is making my head
spin.

> You need a /bin/X11 -> ., though.  And the link /usr/include/X11 has to be
> removed as there is now the real stuff, like with the lib example.

Yep.  I'll have to check for filename clashes in /bin, but as these
would be just as silly as those in /lib, I hope there are none.  IMO
binaries with the same names in those two dirs would be a bug in the
distribution anyway.

I hope there are no LSB/FHS people here, as they would probably be
fainting from all the ugliness right about now... (Actually, as a Linux
admin and distribution maintainer, I'm feeling a bit queasy myself.  I'm
trying to keep my hurd hat firmly planted on my head while thinking
about this...  ;)

Oystein
--
If it ain't broke, do break it.