Re: /X11R6/lib

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 09:40:22PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Would it be true to the spirit of hurd and the /usr -> . symlink to have
> /X11R6/lib be a symlink to ../lib?

X11R6 shouldn't exist even on Linux, if you ask me.  I am all for it.

> That way, most libraries would end
> up in /lib, which should sort out the problems people have been seing
> with setuid applications like xterm for which LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't, and
> indeed shouldn't, work.

It will worsen the dpkg-shlibdeps problem, but that's not so big an issue.
Just go for it, and let us know if you expect any problems or if you don't.

> What do you people think?  I am considering manually doing it for my own
> installation, but as I mainly use it to test-build packages for hurd, I
> don't want to stray too far from the standard installation...

I can send you a dpkg-shlibdeps which will be functional but spit out a lot
of warnings.  If there are no actual file conflicts which introduce bugs,
you shouldn't notice a difference.  But then, unexpected things may happen.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de