Re: Package Hierarchy

Ian Duggan <ian@ianduggan.net> writes:

> That's a thought. Is there available, or does there exist an easy way to
> generate the dependency tree for Debian packages?

Well, graphviz is in non-free and can do exactly this kind of tasks.
"apt-cache dotty" will generate output that can be used as input to
one of the graphviz tools, to draw "the dependency tree". But as
Debian consists of a few thousand packages, this tree is better suited
for interior decoration than information gathering ...

Generally, the package priorities give broad dependency tiers: a
package may only depend on other packages of the same or higher
priority. So we can port all "standard" packages first, never needing
to build an "optional" package because of a dependency.

--
Robbe