Re: Xterm library failure...

Neil Levine <levine@yoyo.org> writes:

> > If you attempt to run a suid binary (check with ls -l), then it won't work
> > with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I think.
>
> Ah, this is what I thought. I notice there is a general ambivalence to
> suid programs, with the 'su' binary not being suid on install. Is this
> is a deliberate design issue or the result of incomplete development?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH *must* be ignored by suid programs. Otherwise, you
could just compile a doctored /tmp/libc.so.X.Y which installs a root
shell when open() is called and do "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp xterm" ...

This fact combined with the absence of ld.so.cache/ld.so.config makes
xterm a problematic application, unfortunately.

su not having the right mode is a known bug
(<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=78372>) You may
want to lobby with shellutil's maintainer that this finally gets
fixed ...

That all these issues with non-root are unfixed for so long is
probably due to most Hurd users just-use-root attitude. Not that this
is less dirty than on other Unixoids.

--
Robbe