Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

> This fucking Hurd still sucks!

Bees with honey.

> I still try to get the kernel up and running but nobody actually seems
> to realize, that a really lean kernel should be made just for installing,
> so that all should be able to boot that piece of shit. That's not the first
> mail I send about booting problems, but nobody really gave me the right
> conclusion yet.

Well, let's try again. What hardware are you trying to boot with, and
how are you going about trying to build the system. The installation
procedure is still primitive, and requires developer level knowledge of
a few things. At the minimum, you should be familiar with how
bootloaders work and how to create and mount new filesystems.

I used the tarfile installation procedure, and it worked perfectly
according to the instructions. However, I didn't try to boot on my old
486dx2-66 with Vesa bus. I used a generic pentium/pci pc. Nothing too
esoteric.

> There were even guys like Neal Walfiled who just think
> he's the boss and his fucking opinion is the only right one!.
> Hey Neal, you bothered me, writing just 72 chars/line but you sucker
> should learn first to send mail not by attachment!! OK?

Well, I'm sure your tone is bothering most of us. Maybe you could learn
to ask constructive questions? I see occasional patches from Neal... and
swearing from you.

> Anyway, this fucking kernel still stops/halts just after the fdc gets
> recognized. I already had taken off almost all cards I have in my system,
> but no change. Is there anything I should know of, where gnumach does
> NOT run on? Else, think about, distributing a small lean kernel, whithout

There is a Hurd compatibility guide:

	http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/hacking/hurd/hurd-hardware.html

You could try looking there for information on what you should/shouldn't
try to boot it on at the moment.

As the system is still being polished, I don't think it's a goal that it
be able to boot on all the different hardware types that exist out
there. It's more of a "match your hardware to Hurd" if you want to play
with it. Not the otherway around.

> fancy stuff. It would be good to start, and THEN when the installation is
> done, there should be a new kernel compiled. So I won't have to install
> a Debian Linux System besides my other systems. I already have a Linux
> System, but somehow, your cross-compiler won't really fit in there. The
> compiler seems to be made just for Debian Linux ( think about the .deb
> packaging ).

You don't have to actually have a Debian linux system installed. What
you need is a way to extract the Hurd tarfile onto the partition you
will boot the Hurd from. From there, you can create a GRUB floppy and
use it to boot to that new Hurd extraction. The directions worked
perfectly for me.

You could easily place a harddrive in your linux machine, extract the
Hurd onto it, and then move the harddrive over to you Hurd machine. I
think I did that at some point as well.

As for the cross-compiler, you don't have to use the .debs to install
the toolchain. You can build it yourself. I refer you to the email I
sent two days ago about the subject. It also references instructions
that were used to build the cross-compile system on FreeBSD.

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd-0104/msg00239.html

If you would like help, please ask constructive questions and I'm sure
people will try to help in what way they can. Flaming the list about how
the Hurd sucks is not likely to engender a warm and fuzzy feeling, nor a
desire to help you.

-- Ian

Ian Duggan                    ian@ianduggan.net
                              http://www.ianduggan.net