Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

"Ian Duggan" wrote
>...What hardware are you trying to boot with, and
> how are you going about trying to build the system. The installation
> procedure is still primitive, and requires developer level knowledge of
> a few things. At the minimum, you should be familiar with how
> bootloaders work and how to create and mount new filesystems.
My System:
AMD K7 600Mhz on ASUS K7M (AMD750,VIA82C686B), 192MB SDRAM
ELSA Erazor III Pro (Riva TNT2) 32MB AGP
DawiControl PCI2974F-SCSI (AM53C974)
NE2k PCI (Realtek 8029)
SB Live Value (PCI)
HauppaugeWinTV (PCI)
Teac532s SCSI cd  -> /dev/scd0
Yamaha 8824 SCSI cdrw -> /dev/scd1
4,3GB ibm hdd SCSI  -> /dev/sda
2,4GB Maxtor hdd IDE -> /dev/hdc
15GB IBM hdd IDE -> /dev/hda
30GB WD hdd IDE IDE -> /dev/hdb

All interrupts are set on PNP (nothing on Legacy) while PNP is turned off.
USB is turned off. Nothing special set in the BIOS.

I got the Hurd installed on /dev/hdc2, which is 850MB big and sits behind
the 350MB hdc1 partition. hdc2 was created under Linux before with:

    # mke2fs -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/hdc2

The Grub was installed on /dev/hda MBR.
There was an entry for Hurd, using :

    root hd(2,1)
    kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd2s2 -s
    module /boot/serverboot.gz

The system stops after gnumach.gz the floppy disk controller got detected,
no matter if there is just the graphics card in the system or all cards are
plugged in.

> You don't have to actually have a Debian linux system installed. What
> you need is a way to extract the Hurd tarfile onto the partition you
> will boot the Hurd from. From there, you can create a GRUB floppy and
> use it to boot to that new Hurd extraction. The directions worked
> perfectly for me.

Well I've already done that with the tarball from Marcus, which has been
offered by the freeX-magazine. It did not work.

> As for the cross-compiler, you don't have to use the .debs to install
> the toolchain. You can build it yourself. I refer you to the email I
> sent two days ago about the subject. It also references instructions
> that were used to build the cross-compile system on FreeBSD.

I didn't see that, sorry, 'cause my infolder for this mailinglist is about
750 unread articles big ( didn't have much time lately).

> If you would like help, please ask constructive questions and I'm sure
> people will try to help in what way they can. Flaming the list about how
> the Hurd sucks is not likely to engender a warm and fuzzy feeling, nor a
> desire to help you.

Sorry, again about flaming, but I probably did panic.
I sure would like to see Hurd to grow up, and might want to help later, but
the problem is bothering me for about a half year.

btw:
I already made a presentation for my study about Hurd. It seemed a little
bit
different than the mainstream OS's.

Henning
Henning Riedel
Student of Computer Science (Technical), IF99w1
HTW Mittweida, University of Applied Science

e-mail:        hriedel@htwm.de
Homepage:  http://www.htwm.de/hriedel
or use         http://go.to/hriedel
Due to financial problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will
be shut down until further notice.