Re: Woody release?

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 06:36:41PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Obvious differences that will arise for core installer components are
> The core installer components will need to understand settrans to do
> things like mount, ifconfig. I was thinking of maybe putting a wrapper
> around settrans to enable consistent handling.... not sure about this
> idea though.

There already is a wrapper for mount. We can stick with something compatible
or implement lacking features in the Hurd mount.

ifconfig we have, but settings using it are not permanent, so we still want
to do the real settrans for pfinet.

But that is all very simple.

> Size may be more of an issue under the Hurd as well, for linux will are
> aiming to get the kernel and core components onto 1 floppy. uClibc helps
> a lot under linux, it saves a few hunder kB compared to glibc.

We will need two disks, one boot, one root disk (kernel and root fs on
different floppy images).

There is another issue. Some udebs depend on the linux framebuffer device to
build. I don't know how much of this is really used (optionally I hope). If
you can add protections for that code to only build on linux, this would be great.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de