Re: Woody release?

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Using a Hurd ramdisk for the installation. (Nice, but not vital)
>
> That involves porting the new Debian installer to get done properly, and
> probably CD boot support in Grub?

As far as the new debian installer is concerned, ive been working on
implementing some installer components into busybox, im currently
working on anna (anna's not nearly apt). Once i get a floppy retriever
working i will have a go at getting it working under the Hurd.

Ive havent done anything with busybox and the Hurd for ages now, but i
havent forgotten about it.

Partitioning was the going to be the biggest problem, so its good to see
that under control.

Obvious differences that will arise for core installer components are
The core installer components will need to understand settrans to do
things like mount, ifconfig. I was thinking of maybe putting a wrapper
around settrans to enable consistent handling.... not sure about this
idea though.
Different build tools, the Hurd will obviously need to be built
differently than the linux boot disks, different OS files, filesystems
etc.
Size may be more of an issue under the Hurd as well, for linux will are
aiming to get the kernel and core components onto 1 floppy. uClibc helps
a lot under linux, it saves a few hunder kB compared to glibc.

These are all minor problems compared to the previous showstopper of not
being able to partition.

Glenn