Re: SMP Hurd status report. Some questions, some comments.

The link I saw, somewhere, said it was "forthcoming"

Ghostwriting, sure. I can do that, and I think that the really important
thing is that we get the documentation out for programmers who can
help us. It would be awesome if oskit-mach was so well documented
that cs students would study it as part of their schooling.

Roland McGrath wrote:

> >     I read that Roland was working on writing a book on oskit-mach and Hurd,
> Well, this is the first I've heard about it.  Want to be my ghostwriter?

A book would be great, but I think some practical thinking would be a
good thing. I admit, even though I have graduated, I'm severely shackled
by student loans. I pay $800 a month on student loans, so  I have to work
a lot to keep paid up. I would like to make some bucks on a book, but in the
case of Hurd and Mach, we are decades early. Our best bet would be to sell
an online document for a pittance, say $10 or so. Let the reader print it out
and do whatever, and we donate a couple bucks from that to GNU and split
the rest. RMS has written a shitload of books and I hope he gets rich. I don't
care about being rich, but I really don't like $800 per month student loan bills
either.

Hey, I'll write a book, and I'd love to give it away for free, but the fact is that
I am suffering from poverty and suspect you are too. As you can see from
this lengthy reply, I can type like the wind!

Seriously, though, Hurd really needs a good microkernel doc base. With Linux
it doesn't matter so much because Linus rules, but in Hurd we want a lot of people
to help so the best way is to give them good instructions. I will be glad to help
in any way that I can, and I don't mind typing at all.

Good Friday... Our Lord is Dead - Beware :-(

Regards,
- Doug