Re: SMP Hurd status report. Some questions, some comments.

>     Also, what do I need to do to set up an oskit cross compilation
>     environment? Or do I just build and install oskit for Linux and then
>     let the i386-gnu-gcc compiler deal with it magically.

You can do whatever is easiest for you.  You can build and install the
oskit native, and then build oskit-mach using your native Linux compiler.
That is probably the easiest thing.  Or you can build the oskit native and
then do "make install prefix=/usr/i386-gnu" (or whatever is appropriate) to
install it where it will be found by your Hurd cross-compiler.  Or you
could cross-build the oskit for the Hurd (the oskit ends up the same either
way).  It really doesn't matter.

>     In the meantime, I have been reading the gnumach sources and trying
>     to get it to build with smp support.

I was about to say:

>     This is all moot anyways as oskit-mach seems a better candidate for
>     running Hurd on SMP boxes.

As you've seen, the oskit smp support works with current hardware (like
yours), whereas gnumach doesn't even have any extant hardware support code.

>     I read that Roland was working on writing a book on oskit-mach and Hurd,

Well, this is the first I've heard about it.  Want to be my ghostwriter?