Re: non-us turtle (was: openssl)

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 02:09:39PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> I wrote to Jeff Bailey:
>
> > I just compiled openssl without a hitch, and it tested out fine. It
> > would be good if you could add it to a turtle!
>
> But I forgot that Jeff has stated previously that he is doesn't want
> to get into non-us business.

Not so much "didn't want", but "Didn't know if it's okay".  I've
pretty much confirmed that it is.

> Is there a Debian developer out there interested in setting up a
> turtle for non-us packages? To my knowledge manual intervention can be
> kept quite low, but you should let it run on a regular basis[1], maybe
> rebooting from time to time. You'll move quite some data to/from
> Debian servers, so a pay-per-bit ineternet connection is probably not
> a good idea. You need to be in a country with liberal crypto policies,
> of course.

The way I run my turtle is a *very* manual process.  I run every step
that I can in Linux, and I reboot only for the dependancy checking and
the actual package building.  (If you're a BSD/Linux dual-boot, this
should work too).  You can be on a dial-up connection to do this,
since the steps for building this are isolated from the connection
required.

You also need to be a Registered Debian Developer(tm), or I have to
rebuild the packages anyway to upload them.  I'll take a stap this
afternoon at firing up non-us on turtle1.  Until there's some dispatch
code to hand out packages to the turtles automatically, coordinating
with multiple people could be quite difficult.

Too bad, really.  Soon, though, soon..  We've all done so much in the last
month or so and I'm really excited.

In other news, I think we're up to 300 or so packages being updated.
About 75 of those can't be built for various reasons.  (2 from the
colon bug, a bunch from dependancies, and lots from MAXPATH and
friends).  I can't remember the person who fixed APT, and I've been
looking for that email for a couple of days to say thank-you.  Are you
guys interested in me posting "Most Wanted" packages so that you know
what to hack?  I could probably do it up on a web page.

I'd like to have another 90 in by the end of the weekend.  That way we
can say we're up to tracking 10% of the Debian archive.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey