Re: gawk

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 01:39:05PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> writes:
> >
> > > And make can't cope with the :'s in the directory.
> >
> > That's probably a know limitation in make, colon being a special
> > character and all ... I don't think you can quote it, and that may be
> > a genuine make bug. File it if you wish.
>
> Oh my, that really sucks.

BTW, there are some more characters that don't work well with a
traditional autoconf project. I had reports of building problems from
a person who had downloaded lsh source from
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/lsh.

It turned out that the problem was that wget against that URL resulted
in directory names like "somewhere/%7Enisse/lsh". And you can't have %
in $srcdir, because that results in configure-generated sed rules like

  s%@srcdir@%somewhere/%7Enisse/lsh%
Ouch.

I guess a lot of projects would break with names including spaces as
well.

Regards,
/Niels