Re: More turtle info...

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Are you willing to accept help on this?  I can hack together something
> > on Sunday.  Basically, it will be a completely seperate package
> > that calls turtle to manipulate the database.  It should eventually be
> > integrated, but that can wait.
>
> I would prefer to first work out the interface details. Basically we need a
> new state of a package ("claimed") and some infrastructure to claim/release
> packages and stuff in the data we get from the child machine. As I have to
> rework the state stuff anyway (for the error/retry stuff), it makes sense to
> defer this a bit. But if you think that you can hack something useful to you
> without setting this in stone, you are welcome. I just can't promise
> currently that it will be the way to go when I come to think about it.

My hack will call turtle with the right parameters, so that it's a
clean interface.  The 'claimed/unclaimed' will happen outside of
turtle.

The only hack I can think of that I might want (and I haven't checked
the docs yet) is a 'release' command which will clear away all traces
of that package.  So I'm thinking:

Dispatcher, runs on a web server somewhere.  This has a complete list
of all avaiable packages.

Leonardo (the software on the machine with each turtle), will call
dispatcher, and request a package.  It will then call turtle with
--create, and `package foo version current install-sources.

I reboot into Hurd for my regular processing (check-builddeps, build-package).

I reboot into Linux for dupload.  (If applicable)

Leonardo will then send all of the log files back to Dispatcher, and
release the packages.  It would then call the turtle for the
uber-purge so that Turtle forgets about the package.

I'm hoping by using turtle's public interfaces, that if you like the
idea, you'll be able to integrate it without difficulty.

I've switched to db2, which compiled without error.