Re: cthread Vs pthreads

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:06:26 Erik Verbruggen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:11:11PM +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > In my quest to compile everything for the hurd, I've come accross a problem
> > wrt threads in that everything uses pthreads.  So, I'm thinking should I be
> > patching programs to use cthreads or help with getting pthreads in shape?
> > Ie, what thread library should be used for the GNU OS, cthreads or
> > pthreads?
>
> Well, cthreads is working now, pthreads is worked on (by me mainly). I'm
> going to test some changes next week, when I have my new machine to run
> Hurd on. I'll keep the list posted.

Well, it seems like I'll be cthreading some stuff then. I've not had a
chance to look through the docs yet, but I seem to remember a discussion
about the hurd's libc pthreads implementation effectively gluing pthread
calls to cthread ones. Just out of interest for the moment (obviously
I'll be digging deep into it soon,) are cthreads similar to pthreads
with respect to general usage or should I be expecting to learn a new
paradigm?

Cheers,

Bob

--
Bob Ham:  bob@ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/
IRC: 'node' on irc.openprojects.net: #slashdot  ICQ: 4396425 'node'

"The GNU philosophy is about freedom. To be free one must have
personal power. Personal power is an individual thing, difficult to
obtain and quick to perish." --Krisno Pryosusilo