Re: libtool doesn't like me..

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:32:14PM +1100, Brian May <bam@debian.org> was heard to say:
>     Daniel>   Are there any libtool gurus who know what could be
>     Daniel> causing this?  readline.la reads:
>
> Something looks weird here, perhaps the build process is wrong.  I
> will let you decide...

  I think it may be an out-of-date libtool; when I reran libtoolize, the
build process ran to completion (makes a mental note to file a bug)

>     Daniel> # readline.la - a libtool library file # Generated by
>     Daniel> ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.3.5 (1.385.2.206 2000/05/27
>     Daniel> 11:12:27) # # Please DO NOT delete this file!  # It is
>     Daniel> necessary for linking the library.
>
> You are looking at readline.la, normally this should be
> libreadline.la????
>
> Am I right or wrong to assume that the readline library == libreadline
> library? (If there are different libraries, then la file might be OK).

  It's not the system readline library; it's readline.so, a module dlopened
by rep to provide readline access from Lisp.

>     Daniel> # Libraries that this one depends upon.  dependency_libs='
>     Daniel> -lreadline -lncurses'
>
> readline.a depends on libreadline? Now things are getting weird.

  Well, it couldn't fulfill its function (see above) otherwise.  Anyway,
from what Marcus said (and the fact that libtoolize fixed it), I think
it's just an old libtool that doesn't like the Hurd.

  Daniel

|        Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?         |
\------------- Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org -- Because. ------------/