Re: memory leak?

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 07:23:49AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   Does something in the Hurd leak memory?

There is at least one leak in ext2fs (or libdiskfs) I am currently
investigating, there are certainly more, and probably quite a lot.

> I couldn't figure out how to get
> ps to give me useful info -- it claimed that all processes on the system
> had a virtual memory size of about 100M, and that all the processes had a total
> residential size of about 40-50M.

The RSS column is printed i various formats (you can specify your own format
eevn, IIRC). Try "ps -F hurd" and combine this with task selctors like -A
etc.

> I couldn't tell for sure whether the leak
> was triggered by a particular activity, but I was running apt a lot and
> compiling a lot of packages; I think that might be related.

First we have to know which tasks leaks. Then check the number of threads
("Th" column) and the number of ports (portinfo PID | wc -l). It would eb
nice to have some timestamps of these values as soon as you notice something
that might be a leak. It's not unusual for portnr to increase with threads,
but if threads remain stable, and ports go up (together with mem, probably),
it might be a port leak. If portnr stays constant, it is probably a pure
memory leak, etc. There are lots of possibilities.

Do you work a lot on a mounted partition?

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de