"mounting" on a read only filesystem, shadow passwords

Hi,

I just installed the Hurd, it's _very_ nice, thanks!

One little question: I've got my disk layed out like this under
linux:

/dev/hda1 /gnu
/dev/hda2 /
/dev/hda6 /usr
/dev/hda7 /home
/dev/hda8 /var

I'd like to see my linux filesystem while running the hurd, and I'd
like to mount this readonly. (Apart from /home .)  If I do, while
running the hurd:

root@yosida /# settrans -c /linux /hurd/ext2fs -r /dev/hd0s2
root@yosida /# settrans -c /linux/home /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s7
settrans: /linux/usr: Read-only file system

Of course: I understood a translator wants to write in the
filesystem.  How could I achieve this?  I don't think symlinks will
help in this case.

And another thing: is there support for shadow passwords in the
hurd?  I saw it's not used when doing the tar-install.

Thanks,

Joost

--
Joost van Baal                    .