Re: g++ on the hurd?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:20:41AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> was heard to say:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:07:38PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   It seems that libstdc++2.10-dev has a versioned dependency on libc6-dev.
> > Someone should file a bug, I guess..

  The logs for bug #87131 claim it's been fixed.  I see that version of
libstdc++ is the one I grabbed from incoming, so maybe it wasn't fixed
after all :-(

> Well, yes. The idea was that we provide libc6-dev, but that doesn't work
> with versioned stuff. Please file the bug. There is a dummy package at
> alpha.gnu.org to make it installable in the interim.
>
> >   I also noticed that libgtk1.2 depends on gconv-modules.  On Linux, this is
> > provided by libc6; the Hurd doesn't appear to have it at all.  (libc0.2
> > replaces gconv-modules, but doesn't seem to provide it)  Should someone
> > ask the gtk maintainer to conditionalize his control file, or does libc0.2
> > actually provide gconv-modules?
>
> I think that might be an out of date version of libgtk1.2. It was never
> updated since I uploaded it, AFAIK.

  It is out of date, but I built the most recent version and it, too, has
this problem.

  What's the solution?  ie, should libc0.2 be providing gconv-modules, or
should gtk+ not depend on it on the Hurd?

> >   And, while I'm listing random breakage, I tried to see if X would work on
> > the Hurd..no luck.  It complains that /tmp/.X11-unix has "suspicious ownership";
> > that directory seems to be owned by root.daniel, whereas on my Linux system
> > the ownership is root.root.  I didn't have time to investigate further,
> > unfortunately.  What's weird is that it gets the bad ownership (root.daniel)
> > even if I run it as root (!!)
>
> Just fix that. I sometimes mess up horribly with the group ownerships,
> because Debian sticks some g+s on my home directories, and I forget to remove
> that when building packages in unusual places.

  Ok.

> Please check your whole filesystem with find / -group daniel (and other
> spurious groups).  Find out which packages contain bogus group ownerships.
> (I identified dpkg, bash and ncurses today)

  There's also stuff in /var/lib/texmf (the tetex packages, maybe).
  /var/* seems to be owned by me.
  Stuff from dpkg..stuff in /etc (default, debian_version, skel, issue..)
  I think base-files also has bad ownership.
  So does debian-utils.

  Hm, everything in /root and a bunch of other files root created seem to
be root.daniel.  I should check my ids next time I'm fiddling with the Hurd;
that may be the problem..

> Please! But be aware that without pthreads, gnome is no fun at all. Not sure
> if sawfish uses threading. In anyway, I appreciate any efforts in this
> direction.

  As far as I know, sawfish is threadless.  wmaker might be better standalone,
though, since sawfish doesn't have a pager (or I suppose I could get spager
working..)

  /me prays that neither of them uses MAX_PATH_LEN.

  Daniel

--
/-------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@brown.edu> --------------------\
|                   It is hard to think of anything                           |