Re: task-devel-common not installable on the Hurd

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:01:35AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Matthias> The only idea I have for a solution is to make the
>     Matthias> package arch dependent. The syntax
>
>     Matthias> Depends: strace [!i386-hurd]
>
>     Matthias> doesn't work. Any ideas?

Well, as someone has pointed out, it's hurd-i386. It is also correct that
this is not implemented for Depends, but just for Build-Depends.

And it is semantically incorrect. If anything, it should be "strace [linux]"
or even "strace [!hurd]".

We are currently struggeling to find a generic solution to this problem. You
can help us by participating in the design and implementation of this feature
and get it accepted for inclusion in the Debian packaging system and archive
software. You are one of the many developers this affects.

There is no clean solution available as a work around.  But I can offer
something anyway. We have a utility that is equivalent to strace, and that
is called rpctrace. It is in the Hurd package. Now, it is a bit silly to
depend on the hurd, and a bug, because the hurd package is essential.
But "Depends: strace | hurd" would work ;)

Or "Depends: strace | rpctrace", and the Hurd package "Provides: rpctrace".
But as it is just a work around, there is no sense in changing two packages,
is there?

However, even with the work around applied, please don't cloes the bug reprt
until there is a proper solution, and help us to achieve a proper soluion
you are satisfied with by supporting our efforts in this direction.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de