Re: installing gnupg

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > 3.5. Make makedev Arch: any, and modify it so that under hurd-i386 the
> > package does nothing (i.e. it is really a dummy package). It has an
> > Installed-Size: of 72Kb. Even if we multiply this by the number of
> > architectures, I think we can live with that (we already live with an
> > "Arch: any" base-files, which is not a large package either).
>
> This is a kludge which will work for makedev, but that's all. What about
> linux kernel-source packages, which clutter our archive, and I haven't even
> attempted to make a full list. What about a hurd-doc package?

IMHO, kernel-source should be renamed to linux-source, and people
willing to cross-compile Linux from Hurd should have these packages
available (not that someone is really willing to do that right now,
but who are we to tell people not to do that?). Same for hurd-doc. A
user might want to install documentation for hurd-doc on a Linux
system, why not?

> I have a different work around for this planned. I will make the hurd
> package conflict: makedev (< 9:999), and have a makedev dummy package in the
> alpha.gnu.org archive. That will work for now, keeping the place of kludging
> small.

Mmm, what does makedev maintainer think about this particular problem?