Re: installing gnupg

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 07:50:50PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > 3. makedev MUST be something else than binary-all. It should be
> > binary-all-linux, but that is not implemented in our packaging system. It
> > should be. This requires some global effort and some lobbying for this
> > feature. It could list all linu arches and become binary-any, which is lame.
> > Then hurd doesn't need to conflict with makedev and a dummy package would
> > work even when dpkg isn't fixed.
>
> 3.5. Make makedev Arch: any, and modify it so that under hurd-i386 the
> package does nothing (i.e. it is really a dummy package). It has an
> Installed-Size: of 72Kb. Even if we multiply this by the number of
> architectures, I think we can live with that (we already live with an
> "Arch: any" base-files, which is not a large package either).

This is a kludge which will work for makedev, but that's all. What about
linux kernel-source packages, which clutter our archive, and I haven't even
attempted to make a full list. What about a hurd-doc package?

I have a different work around for this planned. I will make the hurd
package conflict: makedev (< 9:999), and have a makedev dummy package in the
alpha.gnu.org archive. That will work for now, keeping the place of kludging
small.