Re: X server? (was: glibc 2.2.2-1 uploaded ... Time for a new CD?)

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:59:53PM +0100, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > The dummy packages are, but X I will probably upload to debian.org
> > proper, if it works out as I think it will. The patching necessary
> > should be down to an acceptable minimum that for short while (until
> > patches are incorporated) the binaries are not from 100% clean source.
>
> I believe I read on on this list a while ago that X was not working in
> Debian hurd.  Will these new packages make X (the server) run on a
> Debian GNU/HURD system, or will they only provide working Xlibs?

X works, the Debian packaging is not ready, I am going to fix this.

> With a working X server, the whole system suddenly becomes a lot more
> fun  :)

I run X last year, and posted instructions on how to install it.
The X 3.3.6 packages (libs and servers) are on alpha.gnu.org, apt-able.
The X 4.0 packages are at http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/
(actually in a subdirectory, you can find it easily from there).

The Hurd package contains mouse and kbd translator since half a year or so.
glibc has not anything to do with it, really.