Re: A couple of quick questions

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:16:31AM -0500, Jamie Gennis wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up my system so that I can start playing around with
> > the hurd source.  I've successfully compiled gnumach, but I can't seem
> > to get hurd to compile because I don't have cthread.h.  I would have
> > thought it would either be part of libc or as a separate library, but
> > I can't find either.  btw... why is the libc package called libc0.2?
> > Is it different from glibc?
> It's a different soname, that's all.
> I wonder how people manage to install gc without also instaling libc0.2-dev,
> gnumach-dev and hurd-dev. Looking at the dependencies, this should not be
> possible. Are you using --force-depends or so? You definitely need those
> three.

Sorry about the duplicate mails, Marcus; I forgot to CC the group.

I --force-depends'ed libc0.2-dev because I couldn't find gnumach-dev
or hurd-dev.  I don't think I should need the gnumach-dev package now
since I installed gnumach from the source, which installed all the
headers.  I figured I wouldn't need the hurd-dev too for the same
reason (and I don't think the hurd should need it's own headers,
right?).  I did a --contains on libc0.2-dev and didn't see any
cthread.h in there. Where does the cthread implimentation live?  Is
there a separate lib or am I just doing something horribly wrong?
Also, what version of the glibc source should I use if I want to
compile it?

FYI: Perhaps debconf wasn't added because of the dependency on apt,
which was broken?  Something about this was mentioned in the post
where you said it was being added.