Re: A couple of quick questions

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:16:31AM -0500, Jamie Gennis wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my system so that I can start playing around with
> the hurd source.  I've successfully compiled gnumach, but I can't seem
> to get hurd to compile because I don't have cthread.h.  I would have
> thought it would either be part of libc or as a separate library, but
> I can't find either.  btw... why is the libc package called libc0.2?
> Is it different from glibc?

It's a different soname, that's all.

I wonder how people manage to install gc without also instaling libc0.2-dev,
gnumach-dev and hurd-dev. Looking at the dependencies, this should not be
possible. Are you using --force-depends or so? You definitely need those
three.

> Also...  I can't seem to find the debconf package, which is required
> by many packages.  In a post last month Marcus said he was uploading
> it, so perhaps there is some secret .deb stash somewhere?  Or was it
> just taken out for some reason?  I've just been using
> ftp.us.debian.org (I've gotten very good at typing cd
> debian/dists/sid/main/binary-hurd-i386 thanks to that pesky select
> bug).

Maybe it got lost, or I never uploaded it. I forgot what happened.
Currently I don't have time to work on Debian, for at least another week,
so if someone else (Debian maintainer) could take care of that, that would
be great.

> Also... I read somewhere that the best place to start learning the
> hurd/gnumach internals is with the gnumach ipc.  Is there some
> documentation on this somewhere, or should I just dive into the
> source?

There is the gnumach kernel principles, and the server writer. A little bit
of reading in there will help a lot.