My new and better documented experience with the Hurd

Ok, let me try this one again...  I'm typing this as I go so that I
hopefully don't miss anything.

I don't think the hardware matters, but just in case (and since I don't
have anything better to do while Debian finishes installing)...  The
machine I'm doing this on is a K6-2/350 on an Asus P5A with 256MB of ram.
The network card is an NE2K PCI clone, there is some generic ISA sound
card here (ESS something) and an Oak VGA adapter (ISA).  I'm not planning
on running X.  The disk has 3 partitions, 500MB for Debian, 800MB for
Hurd, 500MB for swap, and 2484MB left over as unpartitioned space.

I just installed Debian 2.2 r0 (20000814) from CD, other than the base
install (with defaults picked all the way through, except for host name,
IP address, and modules), I've installed wget, patch, and sharutils
afterwards using apt-get and the CD.

The last date in the changelogs for those scripts is as follows:
cross-install:  1 Aug 2000
dpkg-hurd:      7 Sep 1999
native-install: 1 Aug 2000

These are the copies at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd

I created an ext2 filesystem (-O sparse_super -o 'hurd') on /dev/hda2

/dev/hda2 is mounted as /gnu and the downloaded scripts are chmod'd +x

I'm running cross-install from /root as
./cross-install --host blah --domain gsm --download \
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/Mirror/Linux/debian/debian /gnu

(ftp.openbsd.org is a really fast mirror for me, most of the time)

Ok, finally got the warnings...  This was just after downloading and
installing (unpacking?) ed_0.2-18.deb.

This is the error from cross-install:
------
ERROR: dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:
INSTALLATION ABORTED!

warning, 'temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field
'Origin'
warning, 'temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field
'Bugs'
dpkg-deb: ignoring 2 warnings about the control file(s)
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.
  hurd provides login but is unpacked but not configured.
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.

INSTALLATION ABORTED because of unknown errors. Partial installation is
NOT usable. Correct the error and start from scratch.
blah:~#
------

Ok, now just for reference, I took out the optional packages in the
cross-install script earlier and it didn't make a difference.  I think
that the only thing with ed is that it is the last package.

Those errors don't make much sense to me since the packages don't get
configured until native-install runs (based on a grep of cross-install).

Ok, so now I'm gonna set up dselect to grab from unstable from the mirror
at ftp.openbsd.org and update the system.  All I'm doing here is setting
up the apt method under Access, Updating the package list, going into
Select and coming out without making changes, then choosing install and
letting it work its magic.

During the upgrade, I accepted the defaults for everything and said No
when it asked if I wanted to replace files that were already there.

Ok, so I got that installed and rebooted, now I'm running the exact same
cross-install command.  I didn't blow away the filesystem on /dev/hda2
before doing this, but based on doing this a dozen times before it doesn't
make a difference.

Anyways, with the upgrade to the latest Woody that the mirror had,
cross-install runs perfectly.  Now the only problems are with
native-install and the packages that cross-install doesn't download, which
I posted about earlier.

If anyone needs a more detailed report on that part, I'll be glad to
provide it - I'm leaving the hurd box as-is for the night.

Hope this helps some!
-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid@v-wave.com
   ICQ: 5615049