Re: Long story, might be interesting :)

> This is what it reports (of course the partition type is
> set to e2fs (x82 or x83, not sure).

You mean ext2.

> <ERROR>
> Booting command-list
>
> Root (hd1,0)
>
> 	Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x54

Does not look like it it is set to Type 83: Linux.

> kernel /hurd/gnumach.gz root=hd1s1
>
> Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Try using tab completion.

(grub) kernel /<TAB>

Report the results.  Do not forget the version of grub that you are
using.  If it less than .56.1 then upgrade.

> > > Next thing I did was installing apt so I could
> dist-upgrade to the latest
> > > packages. But, for some reason there\'s a very very
> very very very (did i
> > say
> > > very?) old apt in ftp.debian.org , which is unusable
> (it only supports
> > i386,
> > > not hurd-i386). Somebody (thanks to that person) at
> > > #hurd/irc.openprojects.net mentioned
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian
> > ,
> > > and I had a look. What I found there was a quite
> recent version of apt,
> > that
> > > supported hurd-i386. I installed apt, added
> > > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian to my
> sources.list and dist-upgraded.
> >
> > Again, if you had read a recent install guide you
> would have known this.
> >

> Where can I find a recent install guide ?

I gave you link to a list of links in the last email; there is at least
one there (I have not looked at the easy guide lately).  However, try
http://walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide

> > Again, a latest install guide should do it or, try:
> > http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~ogi/hurd/
> >

> Okay, visited that page. And I still don\'t have a recent
> install guide, nor Xfree4. Can you please be more
> specific, I really can\'t find it. (And yes, I\'m trying).

Try the section ``Installing.''  The first link is a HCL.  The second
points to my guide and the third to the easy guide.  My guide has
information of installing X (thanks to Marcus).

> > What places are reporting this and not pointing at an
> install guide or
> > the mailing list?
> >

> Various hurd fansites.

e.g.

> > There is nothing to join.  Write some code and submit
> it.  Report bugs.
> > Compile packages for which we do not yet have
> binaries. etc.
> >

> Where should I send them to?

This list.  If they are too big then announce them and either ask for
web space or forward to who ever asks for a copy.

> Okay, here\'s the error message:

This is much better.

> <ERROR>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> Sorry, debconf is already the newest version
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and
> 0 not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up debconf (0.4.06) ...
> dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
> status 10
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of lynx:
>  lynx depends on debconf; however:
>   Package debconf is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing lynx (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  debconf
>  lynx
> </ERROR>

Now I can say with full confidence that I have no clue.  Thus, I defer this
to Marcus our Debian expert.

BTW, when quoting emails please try to be a bit cleaner: 72 columns is normal.
Thanks.

Best regards,

-Neal

--