Long story, might be interesting :)

Hello,

Last night (and it was a looooooong night), I took an old IDE disk and I
installed Debian GNU/Hurd for the first time, using the great instructions
at http://www.memo.cx/gnuhurdguide/ . Install went smooth (of course, it's
as simple as extracting a .tar.gz file, uhmm.. It IS extracting a .tar.gz
file :)). Since I had already been using GRUB for a long time, I only needed
to make some changes to my menu.lst to boot. I tried to, but no go. It
wouldn't recognize my partition at boot time. Then, I copied the boot files
(gnumach.gz and serverboot.gz) to my SCSI disk, and booted from there. Now,
everything was fine :). No problems completing the install with
./native-install.

Next thing I did was installing apt so I could dist-upgrade to the latest
packages. But, for some reason there's a very very very very very (did i say
very?) old apt in ftp.debian.org , which is unusable (it only supports i386,
not hurd-i386). Somebody (thanks to that person) at
#hurd/irc.openprojects.net mentioned ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian ,
and I had a look. What I found there was a quite recent version of apt, that
supported hurd-i386. I installed apt, added
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian to my sources.list and dist-upgraded.
After I worked out some dependency problems and edited /etc/nsswitch.conf
(to remove the db entries), I had a fully functional GNU/Hurd system.

Okay, time for some questions:

- Where can I find the latest XFree4 Debian/HURD packages (Lots of places
are reporting they exist, but I can't find them)?
- I'd like to join development. I'm a young professional programmer with
knowledge of (and experience with) basic, pascal, php, sql, c and c++. How
do I join development? The first thing I'd like to do is recompile some
packages for the Hurd, so I can use all programs with Debian/Hurd as I use
with Debian/Linux. However, I'm not a Debian developer (yet). Where do I
start? :)
- When will that 'no partition sizes bigger than 1gb'-bug be fixed?
- Can I somehow enable SMP? (I'm running SMP here, so I'd like to use it).
- Why is Debian/Hurd so slow in comparison to Debian/Linux. Installing the
libc0.2 package took about one hour. (Okay, Hurd is using an IDE disk and
Linux a SCSI disk, but it shouldn't matter *that* much)
- When trying to install debconf it exits with an error 10. How do I find
out where and how it crashes? Without debconf, it is impossible to install
lynx, which is quite important if you don't have X and want to view some
webpages.

Keep up the good work,
Robin Putters
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:putters;robin
FN:robin putters
NICKNAME:xer.xes
ORG:Redline Racing
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+31 23 5406677
TEL;WORK;FAX:+31 23 5406678
ADR;WORK:;;Engelandlaan 84;Haarlem;;2034 NC;The Netherlands
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Engelandlaan 84=0D=0AHaarlem 2034 NC=0D=0AThe Netherlands
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL:http://www.redlineracing.nl
BDAY:19791012
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:robin@redlineracing.nl