Re: libnss-2 problems?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 08:55:52AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 01:46:27PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> was heard to say:
>
>   One other dependency issue: I can't use apt right now because it wants to
> remove libstdc++2.10-dev.  It seems that while the library package has a
> correct dependency, the development package depends on "libc6 (>=2.95.1)"..
> both apt and dselect are annoyed about this, but dselect is easier to fake
> out..

That's indeed the most criminal current bug: libc6 is only Provided on the
Hurd, and the CVS dpkg doesn't like versioned dependencies on provided
packages. A similar problem exists with Conflicts: and Provided packages.

> > But it seems to be broken anyway. As a work around, remove the db
> > entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
>   Ah, I see.  That fixed it.  Thanks!

That didn't really fix it, it worked around it. I would appreciate more info
on this. For example, ping dies with a Bus error when the db is in the file.

>   Ok.  I just uploaded Hurd compiles of aptitude and lftp.  aptitude will
> compile out of the box in the next source upload (this was binary-only) --
> I forgot to conditionalize one "#include <pthread.h>".  (I also will really
> set up build-depends..)  lftp compiled very nicely; I figured an upload was
> overdue since the old version in the Hurd archives lacked most functionality (it
> could only print "Segmentation Fault" :-) )

Does lftp work? The last version did have serious problems when actually
running it. I'd be glad to hear that the problems went away. It's my
favourite ftp client.

> > svgalib is dummy only. You might want to port it. svgatextmode was ported,
> > and X was, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.
>
>   Ok.

I didn't say it's easy ;)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de