Re: libnss-2 problems?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:23:46PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> was heard to say:
> > > But it seems to be broken anyway. As a work around, remove the db
> > > entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> >
> >   Ah, I see.  That fixed it.  Thanks!
>
> That didn't really fix it, it worked around it. I would appreciate more info
> on this. For example, ping dies with a Bus error when the db is in the file.

  Well, that's what I meant :P

  I could try to look at it if I get time, but..

> >   Ok.  I just uploaded Hurd compiles of aptitude and lftp.  aptitude will
> > compile out of the box in the next source upload (this was binary-only) --
> > I forgot to conditionalize one "#include <pthread.h>".  (I also will really
> > set up build-depends..)  lftp compiled very nicely; I figured an upload was
> > overdue since the old version in the Hurd archives lacked most functionality (it
> > could only print "Segmentation Fault" :-) )
>
> Does lftp work? The last version did have serious problems when actually
> running it. I'd be glad to hear that the problems went away. It's my
> favourite ftp client.

  Hmm.  As I said, it works much better than the version in the archives
(which segfaults on start) I didn't test it extensively, although I was able
to log into an FTP server and do an "ls".  non-us caused it to hang until
I ^Ced a few times, but dpkg-ftp has the same issue with that server;
I'm not sure what the issue is. (I haven't looked closely at it)  Also,
interactive performance wasn't great (there's some latency with entering
commands and processing keystrokes; I'm not sure what the issue is)

  If you think I should rm it from incoming, I can, but I figure that a
version that can at least display a prompt is a real improvement :-)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                     "Is it too late to extricate myself                     |