Re: fileutils: --disable-largefile really needed for hurd?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:12:00PM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Im doing my first steps to modify the kernel-independent
> packages of debian in a way to build them for installs in eg in
> /debian on a solaris system. (Or rather fiddling around trying
> to find the best way to do this.) I use fileutils as my guinea
> pig, representing a typical autoconf/debhelper package.
>
> Now in it's rules file I saw this:
>
> --------
> ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM), linux)
>         configure-flags =
> else
>         configure-flags = --disable-largefile
> endif
> --------
>
> So why can't autoconf figure out itself that there is no
> largefile support on the hurd?

The check is broken. Eventually it will hopefully be fixed, but until then,
this work around is required to not break the Hurd version of the package.

> (Or is there?) Shouldn't this
> rather be:
>
> ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM), hurd)
>
> ?

Well, Debian officially supports build for Linux and GNU systems, but your
suggestion is sound, for semantic reasons.

But the correct way is:

ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM), gnu)
        configure-flags = --disable-largefile
else
        configure-flags =
endif

> PPS: Yes, I'll file a bug as soon as I know it _is_ a bug ...

It's a bug, but no urgent one, because it will work fine on all Debian
systems. You're out of luck with everything else, though, so you have a good
cause to report this. Unless the maintainer of fileutils hates solaris, of
course :) [but don't expect this to be handled top priority, because you are
leaving the debian-sector a bit, and this is a kludgy work around anyway]
But as I said, you are correct that semantically, the other version is much
better.