Re: kernel panic/paging error

   Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:32:16 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   Package: hurd
   Version: 20000921

   On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 08:48:54PM +0000, Frederico S. Muñoz wrote:
   > >  Seems that the process /hurd/pflocal has a memory leak.  Very
   > > repeatable, most often triggered by apps that use advanced terminal
   > > functions (screen, vi, dselect for example).  If not killed, the process
   > > will swap my box to death.  OTOH, after I've killed such runaway processes
   > > once or twice, the problem doesn't usually occur again.
   >
   > Indeed, the same happens to me... and many times it swaps so much that
   > I can't even kill anything because even ps Aux will not work; only
   > reset will end its misery.

   I am seeing this, too, but it's news to me. Today is the first time I really
   saw it happen.

   pflocal get's suddenly nervous, and memory usage blows up, within a few
   seconds it sucks up all availalable RAM, and then swap (but slower). I saw a
   swap decrease of 4 MB every few seconds.

The described scenario sounds familiar.  I've seen it happening for
quite some time.  I just thought it had something to do with
/hurd/term and pseudo terminals.  But no hard evidence for that.  Are
you guys sure it is pflocal?

   It's hard to get diagnostic info at this stage. I could run one "ps aux",
   which showed a memory usage of 66 MB, but after that, I could not get the
   number of ports nor the number of threads. I will try to get more info.

Yes please!

   Maybe it is related to the pflocal changes without the corresponding new
   glibc, and updating glibc fixes that.

Probably not.  It has been happening to me since before tinkering with
pflocal.

Mark