Re: kernel panic/paging error

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:58:12AM -0400, ryan.tecco wrote:
> > 	my machine is a P133,32 MB RAM, 500MB free. connected
> > 	to the hurd via rsh and ftp, after a while of transferring,
> > 	i get on console:
> >
> > 	(default pager): dropped <SOMETHING> because of previous paging
> > 	error.
>
> You're out of memory. Buy a new stick or add swap! (running the hurd w/o
> swap is not good).

Actually, I've been experiencing similar problems, and I have 128M/128M
RAM/swap.  Seems that the process /hurd/pflocal has a memory leak.  Very
repeatable, most often triggered by apps that use advanced terminal
functions (screen, vi, dselect for example).  If not killed, the process
will swap my box to death.  OTOH, after I've killed such runaway processes
once or twice, the problem doesn't usually occur again.

I've been unable to determine precisely what is causing the behaviour, only
the symptoms and the affected process.

Running gnumach 1.2-7 on an Athlon 500.

Regards,
Steve