Re: hurd progress and bugs

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 12:33:55PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 10:30:09AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > 1 GB limit is more severe Hurd architectural problem than a bug. :-(
>
> So, the architecture should be reorganized, isn't it ? As I said,
> while Hurd becomes bigger, it will be harder then to
> reorganize the architecture or correct bugs later.

Easy to say.
Easiest way would be to change i386 to something 64-bit ;-)

On Hurd, every byte of disk space is mapped onto VM.
Thus, on 32bit computer you can have at most 4 GB partition.
But in real world, some of adress space must go for OS,
IPC space, program's code and data, thus we have 1 GB.
It could be increased to 2 GB without SO BIG changes.
But I'm not sure anyone has complete idea how could it work.

> > > Also, I think that hurd needs boot disks to be installed without
> > > needing any other os. If I could learn something about this, I could
> > > try to help.
> >
> > GRUB OS anyone ?
>
> GRUB OS?? I would mean creating installation boot disks to install
> Hurd, without needing crossinstallation from linux.

Hurd core is BIG. Maybe too big to fit onto one floopy ever.
And GRUB doesn't support CD boot yet (unless BIOS do, what is very rare),
so there won't be Hurd install floopy/CD soon.

But we could expand GRUB a little, so it will be able to have floopy disk
changing, ATAPI CD driver and ncurses :-), so we will be able to
INSTALL and RUN Hurd without ONE reboot, unlike ALL other OSes.
Nice dream, isn't it ?