Re: Mach console

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 12:56:37PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I came with another question, this time about the console.
>
> Why it's so "poor" ? It doesn't support colors, graphics characters
> (those to draw boxes), can't do bold color...
> Will these things be implemented some day ? It is very difficult to
> implement all of these?
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS: Sorry cos I'm doing too much questions at a time... :)
> PPS: I've been able to compile a program that I developed some time
> agot which uses ncurses. It compiled successfully under hurd without
> changing nothing from the linux version !! :) But the look of it is
> really really poor.

Mach terminal emulator's main task is printing boot-up messages.
Then, Hurd (userspace) terminal emulator should start.
It should, but there is no such thing yet,
look at Kalle's colortext for something that will become one
(it is _quite_ usable now).

Color support is quite easy to do, but it would need recompiling
Mach microkernel and many many reboots to test, and that's why nobody
tried.