network/dsl

If you dsl connection uses PPPoE you will not be able to connect the
hurd box directly to the interet, as there is no ppp support for the
Hurd let alone PPPoE support.  However, you should be able to connect
through your LAN if you have an ethernet hub, or directly to a router,
if your ISP provided you with one.

Without knowing more specifics about your connection, it is dificult
to determine where your network connection is failing.