Hurd installation

I've been having trouble with installing Hurd; here was my process, and
I'll cover the problem once I get to it.

First I made the partition to install on:
  fdisk /dev/hdc
  (Changed /dev/hdc2 to a Linux partition type (0x83))
  mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hdc2
  mkdir /gnu
  mount /dev/hdc2 /gnu

I decided to go with the tar ball, I'm on RedHat 6.1:
  cd /
  tar --same-owner -xvpzf /home/loth/gnu-20000301.tar.gz

I installed grub on a floppy (This didn't work the first time, but it
didn't give an error):
  dd if=/home/loth/grub-floppy-19991023 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512

And rebooted.  Pressing 'c' at the menu, then:
  root=(hd1,1)
  kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd2s1 -s
  module=/boot/serverboot.gz
  boot

The device shifting is due to the CD-ROM in the first slave slot.  The
problem is the same if I plug this drive into the first master and
unplug everything else.

After a time, it came to complain that /dev/hd2s1/boot/servers.boot was
an 'Inappropriate file type or format', and asked for a different root
and servers.boot file.

I can trace the source to being in 'hurd/serverboot/bootstrap.c', main
calling open_file, but I can't tell what the problem is.  The Easy Guide
instructions were incorrect (The ".gz" extension was missing on the two
files above) so is there some other later process that was also missed?

/dev/ is almost entirely empty (Just MAKEDEV), but I assume from
sampling that this isn't relevant.  /boot/servers.boot exists.  I used
both the Easy Guide and the Debian installation instructions.

Apologies if I managed to land on the wrong list.