Re: makefile-init

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:58:43 EDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Roland McGrath <frob@debian.org>  said:
> > I hope this isn't too off-topic.
>
> Doesn't usually stop anyone.
>
> > There has been some talk about a makefile-style replacement for the
> > sysv init mechanism. Has this been worked out in any detail?
>
> Not to my knowledge.  Certainly no specific planning to design or
> implement anything of the kind has been done by the Hurd developers.
>
> > I suppose the basic idea is to generalise run levels with
> > dependencies: before a service is started, all the services that it
> > depends on are started, and before a service is stopped, all the
> > services that depend on it are stopped. But:
>
> That's the idea that makes sense to me.  Everything further you ask about
> verges on more detailed than I think anyone has clearly worked through.
> If you wanted to work it through and implement it, that would be a
> fine thing.

Note that there _is_ some prior art.  Head to <http://www.google.com/> and
search for:
  "mastodon orc init"

The relevant bit:

   [folder.gif] The rc subsystem
          The nicest thing about my custom distribution is that it works
          on a capability-based set of rc files. Normally, System 5-style
          rc directories contain a set of files prefixed with Snumber and
          Knumber so that /etc/rc can properly start things up and tear
          things down. Well, I don't like that; instead, my configuration
          files tell the rc script what services they need to have
          running, and the need program goes out and starts the
          appropriate daemons (and makes the appropriate entries in a
          database, so these services can be shut down in an orderly
          fashion.)

  The rc subsystem</a>
--
cbbrowne@hex.net - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Why is  it that when  you're driving and  looking for an  address, you