Re: GNU/Hurd in foreign filesystems?

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 11:58:53PM +0200, Farid Hajji wrote:

> 2. Use a subdirectory of the foreign filesystem and put all Hurd files
>    there. One problem here is that most likely, that foreign filesystem
>    won't have the extra space for metadata like translator bits etc...
>    A workaround would be to add a file (either per directory or for all
>    files) that would contain such metadata (somehow like Linux' umsdosfs).

IIRC, the use of translators etc. is quite within the specs of EXT2.
With the owner set to 'hurd' a conforming implementation should not
gratuitously clobber the information.  I think some people reported
success a couple of years ago running hurd and linux in one filesystem.

The big problem instead is separating the /lib's etc from the foreign OS.
The ext2 server does support your first option, however, of mounting a
file as a FS.  If you could work the necessary cleverness into the init
you ought to be able to ask ext2fs.static to load twice:  Once for the
foriegn OS, and once for the embedded filesystem.  Server loading could
continue to take place.

Of course, I'd hate to try and report bugs on such a system. =)

--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."