Re: GNU/Hurd in foreign filesystems?

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 11:58:53PM +0200, Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net> was heard to say:
> 1. Use a regular file on the foreign filesystem and mke2fs on it, then
>    boot directly off this file-based filesystem. The big file would
>    contain an (ext2fs) image of the hurd filesystem.
>
> 2. Use a subdirectory of the foreign filesystem and put all Hurd files
>    there. One problem here is that most likely, that foreign filesystem
>    won't have the extra space for metadata like translator bits etc...
>    A workaround would be to add a file (either per directory or for all
>    files) that would contain such metadata (somehow like Linux' umsdosfs).

  Both of these are possible.  I actually recently tried #2 (which IMO is a
cleaner approach, mostly) but gave up when the Hurd corrupted the host
partition in nasty ways.  (eg, vanishing directory trees..I don't have any hard
proof that the Hurd was at fault, but the problems started when I set it up
and ended when I stopped, so..)  Also, you may want to check out GNU parted,
which makes it easier to create new partitions on an already-set-up system (you
can resize and move partitions, etc)  Both methods only work on ext2fs at the
moment as far as I know, though..

  Check the mailing list archives for more information.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|    This space   |  "You see, I've already stolen the spork of wisdom        |