Re: How to get more developers (was: Mailing List traffic and...)

> We can't even think about a release before those problems are fixed.

A release, even a "snapshot release" also needs a checklist, it probably
wouldn't be a terrible idea to start one now. I see two entries below,
and would like to humbly add a stable, recent version of XFree86 and
servers to the list. I've started working on porting XFree86 4.0.1 (the
latest) to the HURD, but the work is slow and tedious. Its a totally
different source tree from XF86 3.x.

Once I have a working X system myself (3.3.3 is not current enough to
support one of my video cards, and system locks on the other), I'm also
going to start on a stable complete port of GNOME. One great way to get
publicity, BTW, is to get projects to include hurd binary debs on their
site :-) Imagine if I am a Linux user about to download GNOME and I see
HURD debs! It brings HURD closer to the real world in people's minds...
"oh, I didn't know HURD could run X!..." or whatever.

> > Another important missing point is PPP.

> We need fdisk, or there is no way to create a Hurd partition from Hurd
> boot disks. When we have fdisk, I can continue on the boot disk work.

Another valuable tool would be Bugzilla. I know nothing of this...but
would sourceforge be willing / able to host bugzilla for us? The value
in Bugzilla is that it makes it easier for non-HURD *developers* to be
attracted to the HURD - since people can easily browse bugs w/o "joining
the community". This will encourage the developers who know what they're
doing in particular areas (like networking, filesystems, what not) to
see things they can do in the HURD and hopefully encourage them to dive
in ("oh! I think I can do that...").

-Seth