Re: Problems with dpkg-ftp

Peter Husen <peter@husen.dk>:

> I just installed Debian GNU/HURD and things went just fine. Then I set
> up dselect to use ftp (using the sunsite.auc.dk mirror, as I live in
> Denmark) and selected some packages for installation. The mirror works
> fine, and I can download from it without problems using ftp on the same
> hurd-system, but when I run Install in dselect, it just hangs after
> downloading each package, as if it doesn't find out, that the download
> is complete. After a certain time-out, or when I press ^C, it says "FTP
> ERROR", and then it asks: "Do you want to retry downloading at once
> [y]:". I say yes, and it asks me, if I want to continue at some
> position, wich turns out to be the total size of the file. Then it gets
> the remaining 0.00 bytes of the package and goes on to the next package.
> In this way I have to press ^C whenever I think it is through
> downloading a package and make it go on to the next package in this very
> bothersome way.

I have frequently seen interactive ftp sessions hang without exiting
having downloaded the entire file. I've assumed it's some kind of
network problem as there has always been a masquerading firewall
between me and the server when this has happened. So check whether
your problem is specific to dpkg-ftp (try just ftp) and check whether
it is specific to HURD (try a different system with the same network).

Probably not relevant, but does dpkg-ftp look at the FTP_PASSIVE
environment variable? Try active and passive, just in case ...

Edmund