Re: /home/user/var ?

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:23:43PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:01:53AM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> > That discussion about the structuring of the home directories is nothing
> > hurd-specific at all. First it is something, the applications have to take
> > care of - and except for a limited set of tool, most programs are written
> > for UN*I-compatible systems in general.
>
> Hurd is not only a kernel/OS
> IT is also a place where UNIX design mistakes are fixed o be used wider.
> We have already one big success - GRUB bootloader did spead very widely
> and will very probably overnumber LILO in next two years (my biased idea).

A real winner would be if we could convince Linux kernel people to be
multiboot compliant (same for BSD).

> > Since forcing app-developers to do something in a certain way can't work, it
> > would be a thing to be enforced by the distribution, i.e. Debian would have
> > to adopt it as a policy and the packagers would then have to change the
> > paths in the .deb packages.
>
> In most cases, this is one #define to change per 5 package (most don't use any
> configs in ~/).
> If we show new way, people may accept it or decline it.
> If nobody even tried, we would all be stucked with QWERTies

However, we also have to choose our battles wisely. The way apps are
configured is very diverted and probably too remote from the current state of
the Hurd project. It is probably something you could aim for in the GNU
coding standards, where the file system layout is defined.

> Remember that Debian GNU/Hurd is quite independent distribution,
> only using the same packager and package base, and some infrastructure
> and we should make Debian GNU/Hurd as good as we can, not as Linux-like
> as possible, because no-one would like use Debian GNU/Hurd if it were
> just Debian GNU/Linux emulator over Mach microkernel.

Indeed. Note that this message has not reached the collective consciousness.
(Advocating this is a good thing, IMHO).