Re: /home/user/var ?

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:01:53AM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> That discussion about the structuring of the home directories is nothing
> hurd-specific at all. First it is something, the applications have to take
> care of - and except for a limited set of tool, most programs are written
> for UN*I-compatible systems in general.

Hurd is not only a kernel/OS
IT is also a place where UNIX design mistakes are fixed o be used wider.
We have already one big success - GRUB bootloader did spead very widely
and will very probably overnumber LILO in next two years (my biased idea).

> Since forcing app-developers to do something in a certain way can't work, it
> would be a thing to be enforced by the distribution, i.e. Debian would have
> to adopt it as a policy and the packagers would then have to change the
> paths in the .deb packages.

In most cases, this is one #define to change per 5 package (most don't use any
configs in ~/).
If we show new way, people may accept it or decline it.
If nobody even tried, we would all be stucked with QWERTies

> Debian GNU/HURD should not try do things too much different from Debian
> GNU/Linux - that would just mean slowing down the package-porting process.

Not much slowing down, I think.
If we had more logical structure, we would have less changes in
future, so overall work will be the same or less correcting Unix misconceptions
(as with /usr).

> Therefore, if one really succeeds in convincing the Debian community to
> adopt that policy, that's fine. Anyhow - I do not believe you'll get a
> majority for that idea...

Majority would probably decline lack of /usr, just due to old stupid habit,
GNU/Hurd is to break all old stupid habits.

Remember that Debian GNU/Hurd is quite independent distribution,
only using the same packager and package base, and some infrastructure
and we should make Debian GNU/Hurd as good as we can, not as Linux-like
as possible, because no-one would like use Debian GNU/Hurd if it were
just Debian GNU/Linux emulator over Mach microkernel.