Re: /home/user/var ?

>> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:23:43PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>> > Remember that Debian GNU/Hurd is quite independent distribution,
>> > only using the same packager and package base, and some infrastructure
>> > and we should make Debian GNU/Hurd as good as we can, not as Linux-like
>> > as possible, because no-one would like use Debian GNU/Hurd if it were
>> > just Debian GNU/Linux emulator over Mach microkernel.
>>
>> Indeed. Note that this message has not reached the collective consciousness.
>> (Advocating this is a good thing, IMHO).

 Not *entirely* true.

 The draw, for me and I'm sure some others, is that Linux is getting MUCH
 to windows-ish.
 Every time some new marvelous "feature" is added to Linux ( meaning IN
 the kernel ) it's necessary to up-grade the whole bloody system to make
 anything work, and re-learn all the configurations.
 Just one example, is printer ports.
 Now that bidirectional support has been added in the kernel ( rather than
 as a driver ) it's broken my printer, and severely slowed plip.
 In order for me to print, I must now learn all new configuration ( which I don't
 want to do, I do have a life ) or re-boot to an older kernel which can print,
 but lose other "features" broken by re-configuring for the new kernel, such
 as the plip connection for the laptop to desktop network.
 It's a big pain.

 The draw for me, is the implied promise that with a micro-kernel, these things
 will need be implimented in drivers, or translators, which will not necessitate
 forced upgrades just to stand still, as is the case with both windows, and now
 linux.

 My old Debian-Buzz system has ( and still does ) serve me well for many things,
 but won't run some of the newer packages.
 Having to re-boot to run a package is much to windows-ish, and the implied
 promise of doing away with that inconvience, is worth much.

 I'll be quiet now.

--
Cowboy

"Pull the wool over your own eyes!"